Monday, April 5, 2010

Lillie's Friend's Got Friends 5K

On Saturday I participated in my first 5K of the year. The Lillie's Friend's Got Friends 5K for Neural Blastoma at Tanglewood Park here in Clemmons, NC.

I've been able to jog a little on my walks around the neighborhood, so I wanted to really try to jog some. I think I walk faster in a "race" situation then around the neighborhood, even though I'm not really racing.. yet.

My wife came with me to this race, which made me very happy and also made it possible for me to get some pictures. We got there with literally moments to spare as I got checked in and got my number about 2 minutes before the race started.
I walked the first half all the way to the turnaround and water station, which included a wicked uphill stretch. However after the turnaround, I was able to jog down that stretch which was now downhill. After slowing back down to a walk, i was able to jog two more small stretches, one at about 2.5 miles and also from the 3 mile marker to the finish.

When I saw the time clock I was amazed.. the clock said 48 minutes which really helped me push the last 100 yards or so. My previous fastest time was 57 minutes, so the stretches of jogging really ate away at my time.

As I crossed the finish line, I looked over at the clock.. 49 minutes and 24 seconds! A new personal record by almost 10 minutes. I hope to shave another couple of minutes off my next race by jogging longer. Before long I'll be actually running the races.

I am very pleased with my performance despite the fact that, according to my wife, I "got beat by a three year old".

No comments:

Post a Comment