Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Saving money and losing weight.

I haven't posted a blog in a while (mostly due to a 2 week lose of computer access) but I wanted to share this.

At the same time I'm trying to eat healthy and lose weight I'm also trying to save money and pay off debt. I wanted to share my little shopping trip today where I used some tricks I learned online.

I've read several websites and blogs about saving money and clipping coupons for groceries including extreme examples of people spending 10$ or less on 100$ worth of items etc. One of the big keys is using a coupon to buy something on sale and boy did I hit it big today.

I went to Food Lion and bought a loaf of bread, a 6-pack of applesauce cups, 3 boxes of Hamburger Helper, a gallon of milk and a bottle of ketchup. I spent $8.99 and my coupon savings were 7.53. I almost paid half price for everything. The bulk of the savings came from the Hamburger Helper.

Regular price $2.16 per box. Food Lion sale 10 for $10. Coupon .75 cents off 3 boxes.

3 boxes regular price - $6.48
3 boxes @ $.75 each $2.25
Savings = $4.23

Plus, the applesauce was half price (buy one get one) savings - 1.23$
the ketchup was 10 for $10 = regular price $1.42, savings $.42
The bread was 1.79 (40 cents off) and a 1$ coupon with the bread and milk dropped the milk to $2.52 for a gallon.

It was a small trip, but it shows what you can do if you plan it out right. I saved around 45% on my total bill, but plenty of people out there have done way better. Multiple coupons, bigger sales etc and you can save a ton.

Makes up for some of that healthy food being so darn expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment